Where is best for my care?

Ask your pharmacist

Pharmacists are expert in many aspects of healthcare and can offer advice on a wide range of long-term conditions and common illnesses such as coughscolds and stomach upsets. You don't need an appointment and many have private consultation areas, so they are a good first port of call. Your pharmacist will say if you need further medical attention.

See your doctor/ GP

GPs assess, treat and manage a whole range of health problems. They also provide health education, give vaccinations and carry out simple surgical procedures. Your GP will arrange a referral to a hospital specialist should you need it.


If you are registered to use online appointment booking at your GP surgery you can book routine appointments online. This includes routine appointments on evenings and weekends at extended hours GP hubs.

If you aren’t registered with a GP practice, it is easy to do so.

Find your nearest NHS doctor by visiting www.nhs.uk.  Contact the GP practice and ask to register with them.  They will usually ask you for details such as:

  • Your name and address
  • Your date of birth
  • Your NHS number (if you know it)
  • Other information such as the name and address of your previous GP

Visit an urgent care service

You can book urgent and routine appointments at the extended hours GP hubs on evenings and weekends via your GP surgery.


For urgent advice after 6pm, at weekends or Bank Holidays, ‘Talk before you walk’ call NHS 111 for free, 24/7 365 days of the year where you’ll be signposted to the right place, first time.


Minor Injury Unit (MIU)

MIUs can assess and treat minor burns, scalds, infected wounds, sprains, cuts, grazes and possible broken bones.


Redcar Minor Injury Unit at Redcar Primary Care Hospital is open 8am to 9.30pm seven days a week including x-ray services.


Mental Health Crisis

If you experience a mental health crisis you can either contact your GP or NHS 111 who will put you in contact with the crisis team or if you are 16 years and over, you can attend the Crisis Assessment Suite at Roseberry Park Hospital, Crisis Assessment Suite, Marton Road, Middlesbrough, TS4 3AF.


If you are already having care through a mental health team contact them directly.


Talking therapies are also available at www.wecantalk.org or call 0345 045 0620


NHS 111

If you're not sure which NHS service you need, call 111. An adviser will ask you questions to assess your symptoms and then give you the advice you need, or direct you straightaway to the best service for you in your area.

NHS 111 online

NHS 111 online allows patients to get urgent healthcare online. It also helps to manage increasing demand on 111 telephone services. Visit https://111.nhs.uk/

NHS 111 offers a video relay service that allows you to make a video call to a British Sign Language (BSL) interpreter.

The BSL interpreter will call an NHS 111 adviser on your behalf, and you will then be able to have a real-time conversation with the NHS 111 adviser via the interpreter.

You'll need a webcam, a modern computer and a good broadband connection to use this service. Visit NHS 111 BSL interpreter service for more details and an online user guide.


Accident and Emergency (A&E)

A&E departments provide vital care for life-threatening emergencies, such as loss of consciousness, suspected heart attacks, breathing difficulties, or severe bleeding that cannot be stopped.

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website